Making The Switch To Plastic Free Deodorant
Wave Goodbye to Plastic, Say Hello to Bliss!
Making your deodorant plastic free is one of the easiest switches to make. We have several options for you but first let's dive a little into why this is important.
🌊 Why Dive into Plastic-Free Deodorant?
1. Love Thy Mother (Earth)!
Every plastic deodorant stick that ever rolled onto your pits is probably still lingering on Earth. Yep, plastic takes about 450 years to decompose. By switching to plastic-free alternatives, you're essentially telling those pesky plastics, "You can't sit with us!"
2. An Ode to Your Pits!
Newsflash: Your skin is your body's VIP, and the underarms are its exclusive lounge. Why, oh why, would you slather them with chemicals packed in plastic? Organic, plastic-free deodorants often contain all-natural ingredients that are kind to your skin and keep your pits feeling like they just got the VIP treatment.
3. The Scent of Freedom!
Taking the leap to plastic-free deodorants opens up a galaxy of scents, often crafted with essential oils and natural fragrances. Imagine your pits taking a leisurely stroll through a lavender field or sipping a mojito on a beach - yep, we’ve got scents for those!
🍃 Crafting Your Own Eco-Warrior Deodorant
If you're feeling the DIY energy: you can craft your own plastic-free deodorant! Fetch your cape, and let's become eco alchemists.
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (Your pits’ new bestie)
- 1/4 cup of baking soda (For that ultra-fresh feel) - note that some folks experience a sensitivity to baking soda. Especially in the ultra-sensitive pits. If that's you, give zinc oxide a try!
- 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder (Silky smooth operator)
- Essential oils (The cherry on top, should you so choose)
- Perform a little jig for being awesome. Optional but recommended.
- Mix coconut oil, baking soda, and arrowroot powder in a bowl until you have a potion of pure magnificence.
- Add a few drops of your chosen essential oils and mix.
- Store your concoction in a reusable glass jar or metal tin.
If you're not feeling the DIY vibes, we've got you. Choose from these options at Kindred:
Our clay based deodorant made by Simple Alchemy - Clay, my friends, is nature’s detox extraordinaire. Its superpower lies in absorbing impurities and toxins. When clay graces your underarms, it doesn’t just neutralize odor - it bids adieu to toxins and waves in freshness like a noble knight saving a kingdom. We also love that this deodorant comes in a paper tube, making application a breeze.
We also have two deodorant creams available from Fat and the Moon. Rich and velvety, deodorant creams provide hydration that keeps your underarms feeling as soft as rose petals. Say goodbye to the scourge of dryness and irritation; deodorant creams are here to serenade your skin! It gets better... "Clusters of lymph nodes live under the skin of your armpit, so massaging that area daily can actually assist in the lymphatic flow of your bod, which flushes out waste and rinses with immune cells."
How to Choose a Deodorant for You
In your quest to unearth the perfect plastic-free deodorant, you'll ultimately just need to pick which one feels right for you. Be sure to consider your skin type, preferred fragrances, when and how you'll be using your deodorant, etc. Keep a vigilant eye on hidden allergens, of course, seek those who invest in sustainable packaging.
Before you Get Started
Before you embark on your natural deodorant journey, we need to talk about the ancient ritual of armpit detoxification! This sacred rite is essential, for it purges those underarms of residues and impurities left by the chemical-laden shields of the past. Not doing this leads many folks to feeling like natural deodorants just aren't strong enough for them so please, don't skip this step!
Engage in this purification ritual, with ingredients like bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar, to ensure a harmonious transition. Here's a really simple DIY for you:
- 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of water
- A glass or wooden bowl
- A spatula or spoon (non-metal)
1. In a glass or wooden bowl, combine the bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar, and water. Stir with a non-metal spoon until you have a smooth paste.
2. Apply the paste generously upon the sacred lands of your underarms. Let the elixir work its magic, feeling it draw out impurities like a sorcerer's spell.
3. Let the paste sit on your skin for 5-20 minutes. Meditate upon the healing powers of the Earth as the paste detoxifies (optional).
4. Rinse the paste off with warm water, either in the shower or using a soft cloth. Feel the renewal and purity flowing through your underarms.
5. Repeat: Perform this ritual once a week for 2-4 weeks as you transition to natural deodorant.